A new name ...
Once Mill Woods Family Resource Centre, we are now Family Futures Resource Network, a name that better captures everything that we do and everywhere that we do it, now that we have expanded to help serve the entire southern region of the greater Edmonton community. 2015 has already been an exciting year for us, and we anticipate much more growth to come.
How it all started ...
A big merger of two well established agencies - New Parents Association and PATCH Place Society - that had been serving the community of Mill Woods for over 15 years, brought about the beginning of Mill Woods Family Resource Centre.
This merger was undertaken to:
- Improve services to families and children in the community
- Make the programs more accessible and physically closer to users
- Meet a need identified by funders for a resource centre in Mill Woods
- Be in line with governments' stated preference for greater coordination and merging among programs
- Increase the profile of the programs
- Contribute to the agency's strength and sustainability
- Create greater synergy and new opportunities
As a result, Mill Woods Family Resource Centre was created and incorporated as a Society in January 2004. Since then, it has continued helping children and families in South Edmonton.
Today, as Family Futures Resource Network, we provide information, education, and support to individuals, parents, and families and operates out of five separate locations and many outreach sites. Additionally, space is utilized in existing community and public buildings to deliver services and programs that meet the needs of the community.
Watch Us Grow
In 2014, we received additional Parent Link funding to open a brand-new Parent Link site to help provide free and low-cost programs and services for all individuals and families living south of the river.
We have also opened another new programming location at 5710 - 19 A Avenue, located only a couple doors down from our administration site in MIllhurst.
What is Parent Link Alberta
Family Futures Resource Network (then Mill Woods Family Resource Centre) became the first Edmonton designated Parent Link Centre in January 2005. The objectives of a Parent Link Centre are to:
- Support parents in their role as their children's first and most influential teachers
- Link parenting programs and services through a province-wide network that promotes excellence
- Facilitate the sharing of resources
- Foster the creation of partnerships
Family Futures Resource Network is funded through Alberta Children's Services, Edmonton and Area Child and Family Services and the City of Edmonton Family and Community Support Services.